Follow Me

Monday, April 22, 2013

In Loving Memory of Chancey (June 2000 - April 2013)

I surely did not think I would be posting this on my blog so soon after the loss of Reggie just 3 months ago. It was was very sad day today when I had to say goodbye to my sweet Chancey boy.
Chancey and his sister Paisley were rescue kitties that I got from our office librarian who was a cat rescuer.  I actually brought Chancey home first and was trying to come up with a name for him.  One of the attorneys at my office suggested Van Chancellor who was the coach of the Houston Comets - our Women's NBA championship team.  I thought that was a good name, but shortened it to Chancey and that's what he was known as.  Paisley actually came and joined our family just a few weeks later.  They were both sweet and loveable in their own way.  When he was just a kitten one of his favorites treats was strawberries.  He would always come ask for a few bites whenever I was fixing some for myself.

Some years went by and he and his sister had a falling out and they could not be anywhere close to each other.  So Chancey ended up living in my bedroom - as you can see.  He also had access to the bathrooms and when the door was open, to my stamping room, just not out in the main part of the house.  He was happy and content there and would sleep on the bed up next to my head every night.  He was very vocal and would talk to me all the time as Siamese cats are wont to do.  He also knew when it was time to finish up the work and go to bed.  If I were working in my stamp room, he would come in along about 10 PM and meow at me to let me know it was time for bed.  Sometimes I would dawdle, but mostly, I'd just turn the light out, leave my things on the table, and go off to bed.

About a month or so ago, I noticed that his chin was kind of swollen.  It didn't seem to bother him and he didn't seem to be in pain, but things had been hectic around my house so I didn't do anything at the time, but as soon as I could I took him in to see the vet.  Unfortunately, the news wasn't good.  He had some teeth issues and ended up having surgery to remove some of them and also a biopsy on a growth in his lower jaw.  It took some time to get the results back, and when they did come back, the news was that he had a cancerous growth in his jaw which eventually would fracture his jaw causing him incredible pain and he would not be able to eat anything.  Seeing as there wasn't any really good answer, I made the decision to let him go and took him into the vet today, held him in my arms while he went to sleep, and said my goodbyes.  His little kitty soul is now off with his step-brother (Kitty Boy) and step-sister (Reggie), both of whom he grew up with.  One day we'll all be reunited where they will be able to run and play with each other without any contentions.  I know it will get easier over time, but for now, when I walk in my room, I still expect to see him snuggling on my bed or digging under the covers for a snooze where he liked to be.

16 comments:

  1. So sad Maggie, but know you did the right thing. Hugs to you!
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maggie...I am so sorry to hear the news about Chancey. It doesn't make it easy on you since it was so close to loosing Reggie. Just know that he didn't suffer and that he knew he was loved. Sending loads of hugs your way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Maggie - hugs from here - he really was a beautiful boy and obviously had a wonderful nature.
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry my friend. Losing a pet is so hard! Your Chancey looks so much like my sweet little Jasper, I only had him for 7 years.

    Hugs & Kisses,
    Chriss

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Chriss. I'm sorry about your Jasper. 7 is so young. I still have one that is 7 this year and can't imagine something happening to her.

      Delete
  5. I am so sorry to hear this. He sounds like he was an amazing companion. I was touched when I read about his naming.I am a big NY Liberty fan, and hearing this was sweet. Take care my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maggie, I am so sorry for your loss. It's never easy to lose a loved one. He sounds like such a loving kitty. I know you will miss him greatly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh sweetie, you know my Spirit kitty is just like Chancey in his sleep habits. This just breaks my heart. Knowing you did the right decision for him doesn't make it easier. Only time will do that.
    Hug hugs from me and Spirit Kitty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My dear friend, I am so very sorry to hear of your loss, and I know how hard it was to make that unselfish decision. Knowing it was the best thing for your little Chancey doesn't make it hurt less, but I promise you it will stop huring. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, Maggie, my heart just goes out to you. I'm so glad you shared the story of Chancey's life with us. I have one who prefers to sleep near my head and another who perches herself on whatever is the highest part of me, depending on how I happen to be sleeping -- usually my hip. Such a hard decision you had to make but such a kind one, putting Chancey first and your own loss second. Prayers for you, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Maggie, So sorry to hear this news. I know how hard it is to lose a Pet of the family.Very heart broken and to know he slept with you.Breaks my heart to pieces. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
    Hugs, laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Laura. That means a lot to me.

      Delete
  11. I'm so sad for you, Maggie. It's not easy to say goodbye, but you surely did the right thing for him. They become such an integral part of your life and leave such a big empty hole when they're gone. I know how much you must miss him, especially at 10:00 every night. You'll be smiling at his memory one day, though it hurts like heck now. I'm so sorry.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving your comments. I very much appreciate your time to do so. Have a fabulous day! Hugs!